I want to fix up my old house – must it be brought up to code?

The Washington State Historic Building Code, chapter 51-19 WAC, provides an exception from the State Building Code and the Uniform Building Code when authorized by the Anacortes Building Department under rules adopted by the State Building Code Council. We suggest that you work with us, but it is not strictly required. Likewise, it is advisable that your property be on the Anacortes Register of Historic Places even though this too is not a strict requirement. The code does demand compliance with all safety requirements, no exceptions.

Show All Answers

1. Are there incentives if I want to preserve my house?
2. Can I get grants or other funds to help me restore my historic building?
3. Can I make an addition to my old building without ruining its historic value?
4. How can I help the AHPB preserve the history and buildings of Anacortes?
5. I want to fix up my old house – must it be brought up to code?
6. What are the duties of the Preservation Board?
7. What can the Board do for me?
8. What is a Certified Local Government (CLG)?
9. What is a Preservation Easement?
10. What is a section 106 review?
11. What is the Anacortes Register of Historic Places?
12. What is the historic inventory (survey) and what is it for?
13. What kinds of buildings can be historic properties?
14. What makes an old building historic?
15. What projects does the AHPB sponsor?
16. Why is preservation important?