The Anacortes Public Library Board of Trustees
Left to Right: Katherine Hamer, Alethea Fleming, Christina Hansen, John Shafer, Dave Duck, and Ruth Barefoot, Former Director.
The Anacortes Public Library Board of Trustees are citizens who have a desire to serve the library and the community; time to devote to board responsibilities; and willingness to serve as advocates for library development. Trustees are appointed by the Mayor, confirmed by the City Council, and serve a five year term.
Library Board of Trustees Responsibilities
- Listens to the community needs and concern
- Supports the library’s public relations program
- Knows local and state laws regarding public libraries and keeps abreast of library trends and standards
- Knows and abides by library board bylaws
- Represents the library’s point of view at city council meetings and other public forums
- Discusses and adopts library policies
- With the library director, reviews the annual library budget
- Attends all regularly scheduled Board meetings and other special meetings as needed
- Attends library functions as appropriate
- Works with library director on community assessment & long range plans
- Affiliates with state and national library organizations.
Currently serving on the Library Board: Alethea Fleming, Katherine Hamer, David Duck, Christina Hansen, and John Shafer. The Library Director is an ex-officio member of the Board and therefore has no vote on Board issues.
- Alethea Fleming, President
Term expires: December 2022
- Katherine Hamer, Vice-President
Term expires: December 2021
- Christina Hansen, Secretary
Term expires: December 2024
- David Duck
Term expires: December 2020
- John Shafer
Term expires: December 2024
- Jeff Vogel, Library Director
- Meetings of the Anacortes Public Library Board of Trustees are open to the public. Your attendance and participation are welcome.
- Meetings take place the 2nd Monday of the month. 9:00 am, in the Friends of the Library Meeting Room.
- If you would like to attend, please contact Michelle Hanna, (360) 588-8329, firstname.lastname@example.org by the Friday prior to the meeting. While the Library is closed, Board meetings are being held online via video conferencing. If you have a question for the Board that you would like formally addressed, please send your question to MichelleH@cityofanacortes.org by 5 p.m. on the Friday before the meeting.
- 5 Members
- 5-Year terms
- City Resident (possible one County)
- Limited to 2 full terms
Library Board of Trustees
|January 2017||January 2018||January 2019|
|February 2017||February 2018|
|March 2017||March 2018||June 2019|
|April 2017||April 2018||July 2019|
|May 2017||May 2018||August 2019|
|June 2017||June 2018||September 2019|
|July 2017||July 2018||October 2019|
|August 2017 (Canceled)||August 2018||November 2019|
|September 2017||September 2018||December 2019 (No Meeting)|
|October 2017||January 2020|
|November 2017||November 2018||February 2020|
|December 2017 (Canceled)||December 2018 (No meeting)|