Be Sewer Smart!
Follow these tips to keep your sewer system worry free and functioning properly.
- Ask a plumber about ways to keep your house sewer line trouble free.
- Call to report any sewer problems or overflow. The City can check the city sewer main before you call a plumber.
- Deposit all cooking fats, oil and grease into the garbage.
- Place a wastebasket in each bathroom for the disposal of solid waste, diapers and personal hygiene products.
- Place eggshells and coffee grounds into the garbage, yard waste or compost bin.
- Dig without calling 811.
- Flush diapers, sanitary napkins, newspapers, soiled rags or paper towels down toilets.
- Plant trees directly over a sewer line; root growth in sewer lines is problematic.
- Pour chemicals, cleaners, motor oil or solvent down the sewer.
- Proceed with an expensive sewer line repair without getting a second opinion.
- Put cooking grease, fats, oils, eggshells or coffee grounds down drains or in garbage disposals.
- Use an unlicensed or unknown contractor to make repairs.
- Use the toilet as a wastebasket.