Members of the Havekost family attended the event and shared historical information with museum staff. Many of the history hikers were Washington Park regulars, who volunteer and donate to support the 220 acre preserve. Retired Washington Park Manager Andy Tubbs attended the event and shared recollections from his tenure. Parks and Recreation Director Gary Robinson voiced appreciation for everyone throughout the park’s history who has worked on its behalf. Examples abound of city staff, volunteer and donor support. Marilyn Firlotte, a loop road regular, created a beautiful watercolor of the Havekost Monument during the short historical stroll. Brian Tottenham collaborated with stone mason Bryan Elliott to improve and beautify the new hiking route.
Museum benefactor Phyllis Rodeffer (through the Rodeffer Trust) granted the museum $1,500 to create two Washington Park interpretive panels focused on T.H. Havekost (who was a relative of the Rodeffers). The Anacortes Museum Foundation teamed up with the Anacortes Parks Department and the Parks Foundation to fully fund the Havekost Loop Trail project.
Bret Lunsford shared details from Washington Park history, including research on when it was named Washington Park - September of 1915 - and the recipe for the lemon pie (PDF) that was used during the Anacortes Improvement Club’s 1922 pie fundraising drive to acquire the Sunset Beach property (see article from the Anacortes American, September 21, 1922).
More information can be found in articles appearing in the Skagit Valley Herald.