Do I Need a Permit?
All applicable commercial and residential construction in Anacortes requires a permit to ensure that safety matters are addressed, as well as Washington State Code, Anacortes Municipal Code, & International Building Codes.
Generally, Anacortes requires a building permit (or a mechanical, plumbing, or grading permit) anytime you erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, convert, or demolish a building or structure. If in doubt, please ask.
Types of Work: Permit Not Required
Retaining Walls 4 ft. or less with no unbalanced backfill or supported surcharge
Painting, papering, & similar finish work
Residential storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided that the area does not exceed 144 square feet, setbacks per zoning code required.
Shelves & counters
Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
- Antenna towers, extensions, & replacements
- Change in location of plumbing fixtures
- Demolition of structures, tank removals, or any removal of materials with asbestos
- Fireplaces, including gas
- Flag poles
- Garage conversions
- Heaters & log lighters
- Interior remodels
- Membrane structures
- Mobile homes @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Mobile homes
- Moving or removing walls
- Range hoods
- Replacement of mechanical fixtures (i.e. furnaces, water heaters, & gas piping)
- Satellite dishes
- Solar panels
- Structure framing
- Water heaters
- Window or door replacements
- Wood stoves @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>