What to Expect During Installation
Approximately a week before your scheduled fiber installation appointment our fiber technicians visit your home to pre-plan for your installation. You will not need to be home for this work to be completed.
Underground InstallationsOur technicians spray white paint on the proposed route where will install fiber. These white lines are referred to as “locates”. We coordinate with other utility companies to have located placed to identify existing utility services. This will ensure the City's fiber installation does not interfere with any other utility services. More information can be found at: https://www.anacorteswa.gov/787/Call-Before-You-Dig
- Aerial Installations
Some homes will receive their fiber from an aerial drop. The fiber line will be strung from a utility pole and then brought to a fiber box on the side of your home.
Day of Installation
We need the homeowner to be present for the entire installation appointment. Our fiber technicians will arrive at your home or business in a clearly marked City of Anacortes vehicle. Our technicians wear Access- Anacortes Fiber Internet clothing. Your installation team will meet with you to go over what you can expect. This is a good time to go over any questions or concerns that you may have.
- As part of the backbone construction, the City installed a small vault outside within a two-house radius. Each vault will house fiber for up to two homes.
- A small trench will be dug from each vault to the side of your house where it will terminate at a fiber box that is mounted on the exterior of your house. This box is typically placed in the same vicinity as your electrical meter.
- Our team will use a bucket truck to reach the utility pole to string the fiber to the exterior of the home or business where it will terminate into a fiber box. This box is usually placed in the same vicinity as your electrical meter. We will only use an aerial drop if your house is currently serviced this way by other utilities.
- Once the fiber is connected to the fiber box, we will drill a small hole which allows us bring the fiber through and inside the premise. We will then come inside and install another small outlet box.
- Occasionally we will use a product called “InvisiLight” -- this is a very thin fiber line that can be placed on baseboards, walls, or door areas.
- If you have chose to supply your own router, we will request it at this time. We will hook up our modem and the router provided. If you have selected to use our Managed WiFi option, this unit will have both the modem and router in a single unit.
- We will complete the installation and confirm that you are receiving service. A variety of tests will be completed to make sure your new fiber internet is working correctly. Once it is confirmed that the system is working properly you will be asked to sign a Service Agreement document.
The City's fiber technicians are City employees who take pride in their work. Our team works to ensure your home is minimally altered. We will clean up all areas where work was completed before we leave. Our goal is for you to be completely satisfied with the quality of our work and our product.