You’re invited to join our team of volunteers. Whether you are a student (ages 12 and up) or adult, employed or retired, you will be a welcome addition to our library team. Anacortes Public Library has many opportunities for you to share your skills, experience, time, and passion for the library.
(The Anacortes community is generous with volunteers, so sometimes the library does not have positions that fit your specific skill set at the time of your application. If this is the case, we will contact you, and we can either save your application for future opportunities, or provide you with a list of other city departments that have volunteer opportunities.)
What can I do? Volunteers may help with a variety of tasks, some simple and some more specialized. Volunteers may come in weekly, monthly, or only assist with a specific event. Volunteers may also help with our community outreach programs.
How can volunteering benefit me? Volunteering at the Library can be a rewarding experience. Some of the things you’ll have the opportunity to do as a volunteer:
- Learn new skills and exercise old skills
- Meet new and interesting people
- Gain a feeling of accomplishment
- Learn more about the Library and its many resources
- Make a real difference in the community.
Step 1 | Sign Up
How do I volunteer? Complete the online volunteer application (or fill one out in person), and our Public Services Manager will contact you for an interview and background check when a position is available.
Step 2 | Volunteer Training
Our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to schedule your 1-hour training. You will meet the staff and join the team. Our staff will support you and answer your questions.
Step 3 | Volunteer
- Work with a staff member on a project.
- Sign in each time to help track volunteer hours.
- Attend special trainings and events to help with special projects and celebrate volunteers like you.
- Friends Shop Volunteer
- Board member for Friends of the Foundation, APL Library Board, or the Library Foundation
- Behind the Scenes Wizard: Weekly materials maintenance
- Youth Services Specialist: Craft and activity preparation for Storytimes and children’s activities
- Storytime Assistant: Help with Storytime set-up and clean-up with Youth Services Staff
- Marketing Historian (Photographer, Media Distribution, Documentation of events online/archival assistance, etc.)
- Technology Guide: Assist library staff with technology help during Tech Tuesday
- Event Squad: Assist with:
- Genre Night (November annual event)
- Outreach Events
- Youth Programs after hours
- Special Author Events
Looking for a more integral role in our Library operations? Take a look at the groups listed below for more information.
Fantasy Genre Day Planning Committee
>>> Sign Up Here
Our annual Genre celebration returns in 2023 and we need volunteers. Sign up to be notified of volunteer opportunities: This year's theme is Fantasy for all ages. The event is February 25, and we need volunteers all day, as well as before and after. You can volunteer to be part of our planning committee right now or let us know you'd like to be notified of Fantasy day of volunteer opportunities here.